| Nachet et Fils, Paris
Polarizing microscope (lacquered brass) in fitted mahogany case
with accessories. The unconventional design was introduced c.
1880 by the Parisian microscope manufacturer and collector Jean-Alfred
Nachet (Alfred) as a response to “those microscopes that
require the centration of the objective by means of two buttons…”.
Harry Rosenbusch’s design did indeed require the centration
of the objective to the axis of stage rotation. Nachet eliminated
this necessity by coupling the objective and the stage.
Ernest Mallard described the present stand in 1884 as belonging
to ‘Nachet’s old model’. It is one of the
very first examples of its kind, made between 1878 and 1881.
The signature on the base reads: “NACHET ET FILS | 17,
rue St. Séverin | Paris”. Height: 39 cm.
Provenance: Mining Institute, St. Petersburg, Russia (attributed)
Collection: Jeroen Meeusen (www.meeusen.com)
Mallard, Ernest (1884) Traité de cristallographie,
Paris, t. 2, p. 383
Nachet, Alfred (n.d.) MS, 3 pp., ex archives Nachet, Collection
Rosenbusch, Harry (1876) Ein neues Mikroskop für mineralogische
und petrographische Untersuchungen, Neues Jahrbuch für
Mineralogie, p. 504-513